Is There Discounted Internet for Seniors?
There is no question about it: The internet is a modern fact of life, and you don’t need this article to explain how critical internet access is today. However, even today, there are some who not only struggle with understanding why the internet is so important but have difficulty accessing it at a discounted rate. This is particularly true for seniors, who may not understand how the internet can improve their lives and who may struggle to afford internet access.
Thankfully, there is discounted internet for seniors that can help ensure they have access to this critical resource.
The Benefits of the Internet
There is no question that there are many benefits of internet access, specifically for seniors, who can often see many improvements in their quality of life as a result of having access to the internet. This includes:
- The ability to engage in live-streaming and video conferencing. This means that you can place calls over the internet with a service like FaceTime or Skype, allowing you to see your friends and family. For seniors who have friends and family who live far away or for those who are no longer mobile, this can be hugely beneficial.
- Access to telemedicine services. Seniors can see their doctors and engage in video conferencing. This means that you can actually have important healthcare appointments from the comfort and convenience of your own home, which is particularly helpful for seniors with limited mobility.
- A variety of entertainment options go well beyond cable. Streaming services come in the form of countless platforms like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and more. High-speed internet access via discounted internet for seniors can give you access to these programs.
What Is Wi-Fi, and How Does It Work?
Wi-Fi stands for “Wireless Fidelity,” which is a way of saying that you can connect to the internet without cables. With a Wi-Fi system, you can use the internet in your home. This means that you can access the internet on any phone, computer, television, or other “smart” internet-enabled device.
Wi-Fi gives you internet access. Installing it is usually as simple as calling a provider and asking them for options. Internet providers typically have a variety of methods of providing you with internet access at various speeds and prices. Fortunately, as noted above, there is discounted internet for seniors.
Wi-Fi requires an internet provider in the area that can give seniors access to the internet. Once it is set up, a senior would only need to learn how to connect their device (be it a computer, phone, or tablet) to the Wi-Fi network.
Social Life on the Internet
Perhaps the most significant benefit of the internet is the social options it provides. Keep in mind all of the different ways that the internet can improve your ability to interact with others:
- Streaming services allow you to have video calls with loved ones and friends.
- Access to countless libraries, museums, and other cultural institutions.
- The ability to watch free live events, like concerts. In many cases, these institutions will provide users or members with free access to their various performances. These performances can be seen on websites or sometimes streamed live. They are often available for free.
- Countless entertainment options will enable you to watch television, live sporting events, and more. With so many streaming options that have movie-like quality, you will have an almost unlimited number of possibilities.
- Access to dozens of services that can make sure you can get deliveries right to your house. Thanks to the advent of businesses like Amazon and services like HelloFresh and Instacart, you can have all of your grocery and household needs delivered right to your door.
- The ability to engage in social media can help you stay connected to your friends and keep up with current events.
Free and Discounted Internet for Seniors
Of course, many seniors do not have the resources available to install the internet at full price. This begs an important question: Is there discounted internet for seniors?
First and foremost: The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has a discount of up to $9.25 a month. This discount will allow seniors access to the internet if they are receiving Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, or a veteran pension.
It is also worth noting that COVID-19 resulted in an explosion in the need for the internet and helped expose the many gaps in internet coverage. These gaps were more noticeable in particular communities, such as certain urban and rural areas, as well as many seniors who had never previously had a real need for internet access. Fortunately, many internet providers filled the void and created plans that provided specific discounted internet for seniors.
- Spectrum Internet for Seniors, which has many different discounted internet options for seniors.
- AT&T, which offers discounted internet for seniors, as well as discounted access to a variety of other internet-based programs.
- Optimum, which offers discounted internet for seniors that also provides some access to streaming services.
Many of these plans may not support a full suite of internet features. However, they enable a senior to gain access to the web and potentially have some streaming options.
Learn more about discounted internet for seniors and how to get it for your home today!
The Zemplee Team